The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

multiple roaster set ups  (Read 2775 times)

beejgerhard

• (1 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hi,
I'm wondering if there is a way to use multiple iPads running roastmaster all accessing the same database so inventory counts are accurate...anyone have success or know of a way to do so?

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi

Sorry, no - not at the moment.

Apple's iCloud would seem the perfect solution to this, except the data-heavy traffic that would be generated in a production roasting environment with data logging would fall well outside of the typical use case scenario iCloud was designed for. Not saying it's impossible, but prior to iOS 8, was certainly was not fit for software like Roastmaster.

I've been working on some other projects lately, developing solutions for multiple cuppers to interchange complex data structures. What I'm really starting to entertain, is the concept of an "Administrator" (whether that be an iPad or desktop machine), which accepts data from satellite versions of Roastmaster doing the actual roasting. The administrator could create the roasts, send them to production, and receive the results, keeping a master library of everything, without the actual data flow having to perpetually propagate each and every device, slowing them down and leaving them open to crashing or data corruption if iCloud were over-taxed.

If you had thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them. I'm not sure my emails have been reaching you. Feel free to support@rainfroginc.com directly if you want to chat more about it.

Danny