The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Rate of rise delta  (Read 3845 times)

eanda

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hi Danny,
Firstly let me join everyone else in congratulating you on an amazing tool for roaster operators to have access too. I have been using your app for 3 years starting with a popcorn maker then Behmor 1600, I am now using a 1.5kg Proaster commercial roaster with phidgets data logging.

Now for my question,
I have attached a screen shot of a completed roast and would like some advice on how to smooth out the ROR delta line. As you can see it is very erratic andhard to gain useful information from, do you have any recommended settings for smoothing out the delta line so I can track this date more accurately.

Regards Anthony

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Anthony

Thanks for the kind words!!! I'm excited to hear you're enjoying it, and glad to see you've made use of "events". Personally, I've converted all of my profiles from reading/control curve combinations over to just reading curves with events. I'm finding I like that setup much better.

About RoR curves... When I designed them, I had originally intended to employ curve "smoothing", since they are extreme amplifications of curve data, and irregularities show up as the ugly spikes. I decided against it, though, since I realized that not every user employs data logging in their roasting, and in those cases, I couldn't make any guesses about how often a user was creating nodes.

I will probably rethink that, and use smoothing for data logging only, or create a preference setting. But, in the mean time, unfortunately, there's only two things that would help.
  • Increasing the sample frequency. I use 15 seconds, but you can go much lower than that. That will make them "appear" a little smoother.
  • Using insulated (ungrounded) thermocouples. This has the net effect of curve smoothing at the hardware level. Since insulated probes take long to register temps, they are much less prone to random spikes, and will show a much smoother transition during the roast. Now, the tradeoff, of course, is that they're not as responsive as grounded probes. I, personally, don't find that to be a problem - I've always used insulated probes. But your mileage may vary.

Danny

eanda

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
Thank you for the advise

Anthony