The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Quest M3 and Bluetherm Duo  (Read 5414 times)

wrz0170

• (6 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hi there!   I will be a new roaster and I'm looking at the Quest M3 as the first.  My intention is to keep the footprint down as much as possible.  I plan on buying EricS's, Omega probes for BT and MET readings.  I am familiar with Eric's work as I have a thermometer for my Rocket Giotto.  Works great.

I've looked at the Phidgets option but there appears to be a lot extra items to purchase.  I am now looking at the Bluetherm Duo for the solution.

If I read correctly on the Bluetherm Duo, the chain would be:  Roaster --Probes--Bluetherm--wirelessly to iPad/Roastmaster.  Is this correct?

What are your thoughts on the Quest, Bluetherm Duo combination and do I have to get anything else to get it up and running?

Thanks and I look forward to getting up and running with Roastmaster.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hello.

Good choice on the Quest! Yes, you are correct. Just two parts: 1) Roastmaster/iPad, which communicates wirelessly to 2) Quest/Bluetherm/Probes.

Phidgets would afford the possibility of a third probe. Some people run 3 - I only run 2, and truth be told, I never even look at my second probe - I only pay attention to the BT. For me, all I need to know can be more easily ascertained by knowing the relative charge of the drum, and employing the temp projection markers in Roastmaster. Your mileage, or course, may vary.

Long story short - the Bluetherm Duo works great for the Quest. I got my fittings from Eric as well - I opted for the drilled M8s, because I swap probes a lot, and wanted to keep that process hassle-free.

Anything else? Beyond RM, iPad/Phone and the data logging option... just beans. :)

Let me know when you get the hardware - I'll send you a couple of profiles to get you started.

Danny

wrz0170

• (6 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hello.

Good choice on the Quest! Yes, you are correct. Just two parts: 1) Roastmaster/iPad, which communicates wirelessly to 2) Quest/Bluetherm/Probes.

Phidgets would afford the possibility of a third probe. Some people run 3 - I only run 2, and truth be told, I never even look at my second probe - I only pay attention to the BT. For me, all I need to know can be more easily ascertained by knowing the relative charge of the drum, and employing the temp projection markers in Roastmaster. Your mileage, or course, may vary.

Long story short - the Bluetherm Duo works great for the Quest. I got my fittings from Eric as well - I opted for the drilled M8s, because I swap probes a lot, and wanted to keep that process hassle-free.

Anything else? Beyond RM, iPad/Phone and the data logging option... just beans. :)

Let me know when you get the hardware - I'll send you a couple of profiles to get you started.

Danny

Thanks Danny! 

While I have not even roasted yet, everything I have been reading points to just really needing two measurements. BT and MET.  So the two that the Bluetherm offer is perfect.

The ability to remove the probes is a big plus as I want to be able to set up quickly, roast, take down and put away.  Wires running everywhere does not lend well to small footprints and quick set ups

Couple questions about the workings of Roastmaster.  I have an iPhone 6+ and an iPad, if I was to have RM on both devices, could the database sync beween the two or is it one device or another?  Second question, how large of a library would you have to have to start to take notice of space on a iOS device?

Thanks and I will let you know when I am up and running.  With luck, hopefully by end of the year.

William

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi William

I have purposely steered clear of iCloud for a number of reasons. For simple apps: calendars, recipes, to-dos - the iCloud API is great. It starts to fall short, though, for complex database structures like Roastmaster. The developer forums are full of iCloud nightmare stories. I know from my own experience, even Apple's own apps crash most of the time when they are propagating iCloud changes after being in the background (Photos and iTunes being the big problem). SO, that's still in the "future" category - sorry.

The existing version lets you export/import databases via a few different means - DropBox being the easiest. You can then, on the target device, import that replacing the current database. The coming update (now in beta) fully supports AirDrop, so that process gets even easier. You can do all of this right from the home screen - 3 taps to invoke the export, one to hit the appropriate button, and another to choose the target AirDrop device. Then, on the receiving device, one tap to OK it, and 2 taps to verify you about to replace the current database.

No, not iCloud simplicity, but better IMO that folks having years worth of roasting go corrupt because of an iCloud glitch. BTW - the update fully supports the iPhone 6 - so you'll get some extra screen real estate too.

Space? My current live database has 820 roasts, and 46,448 nodes - and it weighs in at 2.8 MB. Roastmaster databases are relatively small and fairly streamlined. You'd have to do hard core roasting to ever see a space problem.

About the probes... I used High Temp HVAC foil tape around the base of the probes to function as a "stop", so I can quickly insert them to the right depth and know I won't ever hit the tines.

Hope this helps,
Danny