The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Phidgets - PC Host - Unlinked  (Read 4772 times)

elatedmonk

• (1 Posts)
    • View Profile
No matter what I try I can't seem to get my probes to link.

I'm using the correct build of Phidgets that matches the current roastmaster release. Serial number, port, and webservice are all correct and running.

Is there anything else that could be causing them not to link?

I've restarted, I've uninstalled, re-installed. I have tried everything in all the support or how to forums. I'm just stuck, it doesn't link at all.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
This problem, as I learned, can be caused by Windows firewall blocking the actual server port of the Phidgets WebService. This particular issue should only present itself when using a Windows laptop as the host, not an SBC.

Should anyone encounter this, you may need to add an allow rule to Windows firewall for the port your Phidgets WebService is using. That port, by default, is 5001.

goducks

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
Newbie here, and having same problems mentioned earlier on this post.  Using 4 port 1048, w/one thermocouple unit attached.  Have downloaded Phidget install program w/files and am able to read temps on pc from Phidget control panel.  Am unable to synch probes on ipad and unsure where to look for getting correct ver. #'s (if needed-did not see post for this as mentioned from Danny's earlier post).  Also, am not experienced enough on port management to allow/create rule so windows does not block port 5001 for Phidgets webservice.  Can anyone help with specifics on this?

Thanks!

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
In earlier versions of the Phidgets software, version number matching was crucial. It doesn't seem to be a big factor these days. Let's look at the firewall first.

Many users have circumvented the firewall issue by simply changing the Phidgets WebService port to 5050. For whatever reason, Windows seems more tolerant of that port.

Let me know if you have any luck with that. If not, I'll send you a link for adding a firewall rule.

goducks

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
Changed port to 5050, no luck.  Restarted, re-defined port to 5050, still no luck.  Any thoughts on how to deal with firewall issue?  Thanks!

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
5050 is the port used by Yahoo Messenger, so it's already open on some installations.

Since that's not open for you, I'd switch back to port 5001 (it's less common), then add a Firewall rule for that port. Microsoft has a tech article here... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-port-windows-firewall#1TC=windows-7

Just add the port number as a "TCP" port. Should take only a minute.

Once the Firewall is open, the Webservice should receive incoming connections.