The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Control Curves  (Read 4748 times)

wrz0170

• (6 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hi Danny!

With heat and fan control curves, the node are created by elapsed time (i.e., Fan 4.5 at 4 minutes)  Is there a toggle to allow by a given temperature? (i.e. Fan 4.5 when temp hits 150C).  Sometimes I find when I do roasts that it can be 30 seconds to a full minue off the recipe fan/heat settings.  Just a thought!

William

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi William

And an excellent thought it is! I've talked with a lot of users, hashing out an idea I've been bouncing around for a while - curve events. I'm going to working on incorporating these programmable events for curves, that would generate alerts when temps are reached. That's actually the reason why I upgraded the alert system in the analyzer in this upgrade - in prep for these events. You could create an event for a reading curve, say "Damper" to "10" at "180° C", which would then give an alert. Perhaps if you have a control curve called "Damper" defined in the roast, RM would display the alert in the target curve's color, and set it for you if you accept the alert.

Any more thoughts on this just let me know. Thanks!

wrz0170

• (6 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hi Danny! 

Good stuff on the alerts!!  Would your thoughts also run along the lines of labeling certain parts of the curve either manually or automatically?  Such as labeling "Drying Ends" at 150C.  You can click on a node in analyzer and see where you hit 150C, but no way to identify it. 

Might be good to see how long the drying phase is and then see how long you did for your ramp.   Time spans like you have when you click First Crack to dumping. Something along those lines.  I finding analyzer very useful in trying to fine tune my next roast, but it's manual.  Hope that made sense.    :)

Having a blast with RM and my new Quest.

Thanks!

William

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Glad to hear - the Quest is a fun machine to roast on!

Yes, my plans actually account for both. Programmatically speaking, curve events would have a internal switch, something like "Dynamic" or "Static". Dynamic events could be temperature-driven and defined beforehand, in a new curve or a curve template. Once the temperature is triggered, an alert would be presented. The event could then potentially become a static, time-stamped marker on the curve at the point in which it happened, and display as some type of tappable note or pin icon on the curve.

This would allow you to create your own time-stamped notes on a curve during a roast, or have them automatically created on the curve based on temps. Those markers would then, of course, travel with that curve to future profiles and such.

For events you create before-hand, I envision a simple setup screen that includes a control for the action to be taken with that event when the temp trigger is met, with choices such as "Alert", "Create Marker" and "Both".

wrz0170

• (6 Posts)
    • View Profile
Glad to hear - the Quest is a fun machine to roast on!

Yes, my plans actually account for both. Programmatically speaking, curve events would have a internal switch, something like "Dynamic" or "Static". Dynamic events could be temperature-driven and defined beforehand, in a new curve or a curve template. Once the temperature is triggered, an alert would be presented. The event could then potentially become a static, time-stamped marker on the curve at the point in which it happened, and display as some type of tappable note or pin icon on the curve.

This would allow you to create your own time-stamped notes on a curve during a roast, or have them automatically created on the curve based on temps. Those markers would then, of course, travel with that curve to future profiles and such.

For events you create before-hand, I envision a simple setup screen that includes a control for the action to be taken with that event when the temp trigger is met, with choices such as "Alert", "Create Marker" and "Both".

This is great stuff!  Looking forward to having my skills grow with RM and Quest.  Artisan, eat your heart out!   ;D