The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Database Export to Excel only gibberish  (Read 3259 times)

heartwing

• (1 Posts)
    • View Profile
I've already read all the others posts on using the database, but I really wish the database could export in a useable form. Period. I was glad to see you finally offered the option for export to Excel. However, what I get is perhaps three fields of clear text and all others are just lengthy strings of numbers. For example, in a Country field, instead of Ethiopia, I get 495849857487498798475948784759874398798345793475. The whole thing is like this.

As I've logged over 350 roasts using Toastmaster, it would be great to have that data available in a useable form since a Roaster Certification would increase the marketability of my coffees.

I've tried various SQL software, even paid $29 for one, and the result with those was even worse. No useable fields nor data whatsoever.

As I'm no newbie, this is all a bit frustrating and leads me to this request. Hey, I'll even send you guys the database so you can try exporting to anything that might work. At this point, it's the only flaw in what has proven to be a very useful bit of software.

Thanks.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Database exports are raw .sqlite files, intended mainly for sharing among iOS devices and backing up. Roastmaster data is much too complex to be viewed in a spreadsheet. They may open, but won't be in any readable format. Naturally, you can open the data in an SQLite editor, and glean anything you wish, but this would require SQL knowledge to infer the relationships of the fairly complex data tables.

Spreadsheets can only read delimited text files (.txt). The only objects Roastmaster can export as text files are reports. These are accessed in Utilities > Reports, and will give you aggregated, normalized data about the bean data for inventory, roasts, blends, etc. - suitable for manipulation in a spreadsheet.

Are you looking to export a series of roasts, with bean information, variables, and perhaps curve data? If so, that's on the feature request list. I try to prioritize features by demand, and though I haven't received a large number of requests for it, I've already started working on it. In fact, some dormant code already exists in the app in preparation for adding it to the reports section.

If you're interested, I'd be willing to work on it with you in prep for the next update. I'd need to know exactly what information you're after.

Please advise.