The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Photos plus espresso shot details  (Read 5408 times)

Justin

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
Let me add my voice to those wishing for the ability to link photos to specific roasts!

Also, a question: is there a means to record the details of brewing specifics in the cupping notes for a roast?  I roast exclusively for espresso and might expect the rating of a roast to depend not only on the roast but on dose, brew ratio, etc.

Thanks!

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Justin

My cuppings are all kettle/slurp types. That puts me at a creative disadvantage for considering brewer based cuppings - so, thanks for the ideas.

I have a number of enhancements to cuppings planned - hopefully for the next update. Chiefly a means to skip the category scores and enter a direct numeric score, as well as a water temp and grinds setting. Other possibilities are pre-infusion, tamp, etc.

You can already record the weight of the grinds and volume of water, so brew ratio would be a simple calculating that I would add to the existing water field based on those two values.

Any other thoughts, let me know.

Justin

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
I have thought some more about this and think it would be great to be able to record the details of each shot I pull with a particular roast, including dose, extraction ratio, extraction time, and tasting notes.  This would help to dial in similar roasts to achieve a desired flavor profile.

Just my 2c!

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
I love the concept of brew time as well! Thanks for the great thoughts!

pj47

• (1 Posts)
    • View Profile
I’m new to roasting with a Behmor 1600 Plus but I’d like to echo this call for linking or embedding some low to mid res images for the roasts and/or cuppings. Without it we’re missing a helpful tool.

I’d also add grinding should be allowed as an alphanumeric value. My Baratza grinder uses numbers for the coarse setting and letters for the fine one (such as 2L).  The grind field is useless and I have to record the data in the notes instead.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi

Photos:
For color:
Yes, that seemed valuable to me at first too. And, I gave a lot of thought to this in the past, but after watching each iOS device upgrade, quickly realized that every hardware and software update brought significant changes to white balance, contrast, hue and every other photographic aspect that governs the “perception” of color. I am a fan of color matching - it has its place in roasting. Some aren’t, but I am. If you’re interested in color, I’d advise recording Agtron numbers. This is heavily integrated into Roastmaster’s reporting system, where you can get a bigger picture of what roast color (degree) might do to the taste of your coffee. SCA tiles are expensive, but there are internet hacks out there. The Kenneth Davids book Home Coffee Roasting has 4 of the 8 Agtron tiles on the inside back cover, and there are internet hacks with paint swatches out there.

For aspects beyond color:
 There’s a case there. Still haven’t throughly dismissed it.

Grind field:
Useless...no. Perhaps, purposed differently. That field, by design, is meant to be quantifiable, which cannot be achieved with an alphanumeric value. Its decimal nature is tightly integrated into Roastmaster’s reporting engine, to allow users to report on a range of cuppings at various grind settings, and see what the absolute numerical grind value does to the taste. Remember, that field houses a decimal number. You could divide the fine setting up into segments, and use that as the decimal portion. For example, say you grind on coarse setting 22, and on fine setting C. If the fine range is from A to J, assuming a is 0, then C would correspond to .20. So, the numerical equivalent would be 22.2.