The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Average weight loss per bean  (Read 4270 times)

RoastedOnRoss

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Ross Street Roasting Co.
I've been transitioning into Roastmaster for the past few months, from a spreadsheet-based roasting log I'd used for about a year and I'm still doing a bit of double-entry that I'd like to eventually cease.

One of the things I do on my spreadsheet is track weight loss with each batch, which I then used when scheduling roasts, so I can calculate exactly how much coffee I needed to roast for a given batch.

ex. "If this coffee loses about (x)% of its weight at (y) kind of roast level, and I need to roast 10 bags worth of this coffee, then I'll need to roast (z) ounces of it."

I know that Roastmaster lets you enter pre- and post-roast weights, which I've been entering, but I'm not seeing anywhere that I can then harvest/report on that data in the same kind of way I was able to in my spreadsheet.

Am I missing something?

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi

The current, public version of Roastmaster will just report this information in the roast details screen. The next update, though, is a much different story. I've been methodically preparing for a much improved improved reporting section.

I've added roast, blend, cupping and bean log reports for the coming update. In addition, reports are now able to gather a slew of different metrics, both static and calculated: pre/post density (and loss), pre/post moisture (and loss), development, turnaround, drying and ramp times and percentages, screen size, Agtron, numerical roast degree and a bunch of others.

You'll be able to compare 2 different metrics, to see how they relate, and also display these in bar and line charts with any applicable cupping scores overlayed. There's also a Roast Log Itemized report that I think will come in very handy for this situation. See attachments showing pre and post weight. You can also choose weight loss as a percentage on the non-itemized roast log report.

Beyond that, I see the deeper application, though - a way to see this information based on the contents of the current roast and chosen roast degree. Now that I've built the mechanics behind storing, aggregating and gathering this information, I'm very interested in putting it into predictive use. For instance, instead of just showing the breakdown of beans, perhaps Roastmaster could use the relative density, moisture and weight info of the green beans, evaluating the chosen roast degree, then more accurately display a predicted post weight outcome for each roast.

The current version is in beta - if you were interested in beta testing, just send me an email at support@rainfroginc.com.

RoastedOnRoss

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Ross Street Roasting Co.
My goodness, that sounds like a serious update! :)

Well I used to be a software developer then went into software QA, so I'd be happy to put those old skills to use beta testing for you!