The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Phidget 1038 won't link up in probe section  (Read 5272 times)

goducks

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
Am having problem linking Phidget based TC to roastmaster.  Using windows based laptop, have connected serial port, and am able to read temps for single TC in Phidget control panel.  Web service is on automatic.  After entering serial number, and port in probe section of roastmaster, status shows as 'unlinked'.  Have shut systems down and restarted, per another post on this site, no luck.  Am unable to unblock Windows firewall to port 5001, per another post on this site, as not sure how to do it.  Any ideas on what to try to have this link up?  Anxious to play with new system, so any help appreciated (with detail, as I am not software engineer….).  Thanks in advance!

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi

Is BonJour running on your Windows installation? Phidgets require BonJour to operate.

If so, the culprit is probably, as you've deduced, the Windows firewall blocking the connection for something it deems "non-standard".

The Phidgets port number is arbitrary - you can set that to anything not used by another service. A lot of Windows users have success using port 5050 instead of 5001. Seems Windows is more tolerant of that port number on many installations.

Let's try troubleshooting a step at a time. Can you try that and let me know?

goducks

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
 Will check, traveling next couple of days, how do I change port, just enter new # in Phidget control panel?  Hopefully, simple fix, thanks...

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
In the "Web Service" tab of the Phidgets control panel in Windows, change the "Port" field to 5050. Maybe try a few numbers. Also try entering a "ServerID" (anything arbitrary 1, 500, whatever).

Also, verify that the service shows "Running"

If this doesn't work, you'll need to add a rule to Window's Firewall. Here's a Microsoft article...
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753558.aspx

In the "Protocols and Ports tab" section of that article, you'll see instructions for adding a port. Phidgets WebService uses the TCP port number of whatever you have entered in the Port field, so you'll need to add a rule for outbound traffic on that TCP port. See if that works, if not try adding an inbound rule as well.

Any questions, just let me know.

goducks

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
Installed ITunes on PC, but BonJour does not show up.  Searched for install, but am getting no simple hits for Win 7 64x.  Any suggestions as to where I can easily download this?  Will take this one step at a time per your great suggestion!

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
If you have iTunes installed, then BonJour should have installed with it.

The Phidgets instructions link here...
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL999?locale=en_US

It's an older page, but Apple typically deprecates old pages with a warning if they're obsolete, so I'm inclined to believe it's still valid.