The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Color Picker  (Read 2542 times)

thb2006

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
I am okay with the current color picker (style), but I was wondering if there was a way to also be able to input the numbers directly. I guess you could say that I am a little bit obsessive/compulsive about things not matching up perfectly.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi...good idea, actually.

That color picker is gone now...may it RIP. I was never happy with it either. That was the only chunk of code in Roastmaster that I didn't actually write. I found an open-source color picker, thinking I'd saved myself time to devote to roasting-related code. It's been a thorn in my side ever since...I've wasted more time keeping it up to date with its clunky UI code than I ever saved. So, I ditched it and wrote something nicer looking and better suited to the purpose for the coming update.

Roastmaster operates on the HSL color model - it's better suited to choosing colors for contrast. This is even more important in the new color picker, because there's a preview portion - showing the color as it will appear in both light and dark modes (since Roastmaster now darkens and lightens them somewhat for optimal contrast). RBG is easy for folks to understand, but I fear that HSL would be nonsensical numbers.

I'm thinking a "recent colors" panel would be a better choice. You could pick the color visually, or invoke a list of unique recent colors and choose from that. Would that satisfy your brand OCD? I think it would satisfy my brand. :)