The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Using BlueTherm Duo with SOLO PID controller  (Read 3452 times)

boss99er

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hey guys, does anyone else here use the BlueTherm Duo with a roaster that has a PID? My 5 kilo Ambex has a BT probe that runs directly to a SOLO controller. Is it possible for me to just run one of the K type connectors to the posts where the probe connects to my PID?

Hopefully that makes sense. Basically I'm just looking for info on how others have use the BlueTherm with a single temp probe machine that connects to a PID controller.

Thanks guys!!! Super pumped to get my BlueTherm so I can start using Roastmaster!

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi. Sorry I haven't responded sooner - the last few days were hectic.

Unfortunately, no - you can't split a thermocouple feed in any fashion. There's a number of reasons, but the biggest is that the voltage is so minute it would almost certainly affect the temp readings. Some folks do it, but I certainly wouldn't advise it–it's not safe.

The best thing would be to install a second thermocouple in the roaster. Depending on the position of the thermocouple, it's often possible to commandeer a screw hole (if it's drilled all the way through) and use for a thermocouple port. Thermocouples can be safely bent, as long as the bend forms an arc instead of a sharp corner. This can help placing the second probe.

If you didn't want to install a second probe, you may be able to find a "dual element" thermocouple, similar in size to the factory one. These are essentially two probes in one, with 2 separate sets of wire leads: one for the PID and one for the Bluetherm Duo.

Give a call to Ambex–this is probably a question they get fairly often. They may be able to point you to a dual element probe fairly easily. If you need any info from me, just let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Danny

boss99er

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
Thanks Danny! No prob on the delay!

I'll look into a dual probe. Thanks again!