The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Roasting with the Behmor 1600 Plus Changing Profiles  (Read 5535 times)

Davin

• (4 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hi,

I recently purchased your app which appears to be everything that I've been looking for (and more!) to help me document my roasts on my Behmor 1600 Plus. I've watched your tutorial videos and looked through this forum but I can't seem to find anything about varying profiles while roasting.

For example, this is my procedure while roasting a specific espresso roast:
- Start, P5, D.
- at the very first crack, press C.
- after about 20-30 seconds, press P1 (drop temperature) until 1st crack has faded.
- press P3 (increase temperature) and eventually move back up in temperature by pressing P4, P5 until second crack has occurred and roast begins cooling cycle.

Using the built-in profiles on your app, I'm only able to select one profile and cannot seem to change it throughout the roast to match my roast technique. Is there any way to do this? Or should I be creating a new roast profile that would allow this? I'd also like to input temperatures into the app throughout different stages of the roast...how do I go about doing this?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:17:28 PM by Davin »

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Davin

When you first defined the roaster, did you choose the pre-configured "Behmor" roaster from the setup screen list, or define it manually? If you chose the pre-configured "Behmor" roaster, then everything will be set up for Auto Behmor Curves. In a new roast, choose the Profile, Program and Weight setting, and you should see the "Heat" curve that the Behmor uses in the roast console. (All three must be entered).

Start the roast. When you change the heat on the Behmor, tap the digital readout below the gauge in Roastmaster to enter the amount: 0, 25, 50, 75, 100. Make sure the curve is selected in Roastmaster - tap a curve to select it, or tap multiple times to select through multiple curves. When you create a ned node in the curve, the Behmor curve will enter "Manual" mode to match the Behmor. From then on out, just enter the value you choose on the roaster. Press stop when the cooling cycle starts on the Behmor.

If, at any time, you want to revert the curve back to "Automatic", tap the curve button near the readout, and choose "Convert to Automatic". Roastmaster will rebuild the remaining portion of the curve to match the original profile curve, accounting for any time shifts.

You can create any number of other curves you like. If you want one for Temps, tap the curve button and create a new "Reading" curve. You enter nodes the same way. Tap multiple times on the console graph to select "through" multiple curves.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Danny

BTW, If you do NOT choose the pre-configured Behmor from the list, you'll need to set a few things up to bring it up to speed for automatic Behmor curves. Here are directions...https://rainfroginc.com/documentation/using-behmor-1600-curves . Just make sure "Auto Behmor Curves" are turned on in preferences.

Davin

• (4 Posts)
    • View Profile
Thanks! Yes I have the preconfigured Behmor roaster setup. I was confused by the numbers on the digital readout below the gauge in Roastmaster. Those numbers aren't the temperature but instead the pre-set Behmor profile...makes sense now! I'll play around with it and hopefully figure it all out.

Davin

• (4 Posts)
    • View Profile
One more question. When I set it to P5 (100% power setting) why does the digital readout display 70? Shouldn't it read 100??

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you're switching Profiles in Roastmaster as you tap the P1-5 buttons. Is that the case? In Roastmaster's roast console, you only set the values for "Profile", "Program" and "Weight" once - before you start the roast. When all three are set correctly, you'll see the Curve display in the graph.

From then on out, you make edits to the curve itself by entering nodes on it. Say you start out with P4 selected on the Behmor and Roastmaster. Then at some point as you roast, you press the P5 on the Behmor. The Behmor isn't actually switching to its "P5 Profile", it's just entering "Manual" mode, and applying 100% power – adjusting its original P4 profile curve. If you switched back to "Auto" on the Behmor, it would exit Manual mode, and pick back up where it left off on the P4 heat curve.

The same thing happens in Roastmaster. So, when you tap the P5 button on the Behmor to alter the heat, just enter a node of "100" in Roastmaster's original P4 curve that it gave you before the roast started. Roastmaster's curve will enter "Manual" mode as well. From then on, you enter numerical values into the curve that correspond to the numerical value of whichever P button you press on the Behmor. Essentially, you shape the graphical curve representation of the heat the Behmor is applying. When the roast is done, you will have a curve representation of the entire roast.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding.

Davin

• (4 Posts)
    • View Profile
Ok, I think I got it now. Thanks!