The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Diedrich IR12 Connection  (Read 5458 times)

CoffeeGuyAugusta

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
I have a Diedrich IR12 with Thermocouple package on the way. It has a USB port on the roaster that connects to the Phidget temperature sensor and isolator. The problem is it draws 5w of power from what ever is plugged into offer its power. How can I (or can I) connect this to an iPad with Roastmaster?
Is it possible to use some sort of AC powered wifi adapter?
I really just need to find out if it's possible to make Roastmaster on iPad work with the roaster. If not I can easily run Artisan on a laptop but I much prefer Roastmaster.
Thanks in advance.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi

Yes - the “host” in a Phidgets setup has its own power supply.

The only hurdle with iPad, is that data must be sent wirelessly. It's a pro and con at the same time. So, a Phidgets Temperature Sensor needs a means of broadcasting the data it measures from the probe - this is the “host”.

The host runs the Phidgets Web Sevice to send this data over Ethernet via a WiFi network (internet service is optional).

A host can be either A) a Laptop running the Phidgets software, or B) The Phidgets SBC with a WiFi adapter.

Both of those host options have their own power supply, so it should be a simple matter of plugging the USB cable from the Phidget Temperature Sensor on the roaster to whichever “Host” you want to use.

I don’t “think” Diedrich includes an SBC in their Phidgets setup - the assumption being that you will be hardwiring the cataloging software via USB. If not, you’ll need to use a laptop or order an SBC.

I like the SBC, because it’s simple to install - just plug it in and forget about it. Plus, it’s possible to run many different temp sensors off of one SBC, in case you get more roasters.

But, it’s also easy to just hook a laptop up the for time being, to test the setup. Then proceed with an SBC later.

Hope this helps. Let me know of any other questions.

Kind regards,
Danny Hall

CoffeeGuyAugusta

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
I'm adding a photo of the Diedrich set up so you can see it. It has 4 thermocouples.
So you are saying I can connect a laptop and check the thermocouples. But still can't run Roastmaster until I use the SBC to connect to my iPad.
So would I just plug the SBC into the external USB port on the roaster?
Thanks again for your help.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
No - you can use Roastmaster either way - with a laptop -OR- an SBC as the host.

I meant to post this before, but forgot... https://rainfroginc.com/documentation/setting-up-phidgets

It shows diagrams of the two different configurations. Your roaster will have the "Phidgets Temperature Sensor" already, so all you need to supply is a means to broadcast that data over wifi - either the SBC or a laptop, then yes - connect whichever to the USB port of the roaster.

I just mentioned the laptop, because it gives you a quick and cheap way to get up and running quickly.

CoffeeGuyAugusta

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
Sorry I missed your response when you posted it. Now I understand, the diagram helped me understand. It he use of the laptop was confusing me because I knew Roastmaster was iOS only.
Thank you! I'm now going to manually plot my roast curves with my current roaster so when the new one arrives I will have starting curves.
Thank you again.