The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Export roast curve data  (Read 5604 times)

Bernd

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
I'd like to export my temperature roast curves as CSV (or any other readable format) in order to create my own visualisation.

Is this possible or is there any other way to see and ideally batch copy the raw data values?

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Sorry:at the moment, no. Currently, curves can only be exported as CVE for import into other instances of Roastmaster. I do plan to add tab-delimited export in the coming version, though, if development time permits.

In the mean time, if you haven't discovered this, you can use the "Analyze" function from different areas of the app to visualize roasts curves and how they relate to each other. You can invoke this from the roast list (in edit mode), beans, blends, and other places within this app. Swiping along the bottom axis will let you quickly "pan" through these to see patterns.

Hope this helps.

Bernd

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
Thanks, Danny for clarifying. I'd like to do my own visualisations based on this data so I am looking forward to this kind of access to the data.

BTW besides this you build a super impressive and comprehensive app. I just started using it with the Phidgets. So great. Thanks a lot. Keep on :-D

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Thanks for the kind words - glad you're liking it!! Lots of fun things in development right now.

I've added the export to my backlog list. A lot of folks have asked, and I've already built most of the infrastructure.

Cees Midden

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hi Danny,
i have a related question. We roast with a group of 4 roasters and want  to Bring together all our roasts data in a dropbox folder. We will use use it for later analysis and just for a archiving our roast data. How could this be achieved?

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Cees

Well, my first step to help folks in your situation is XML. That, actually, is complete in the development version that I'm currently beta-testing, and should be available soon. Also, there are some extra roast metrics included in the Tab-Delimited export. Roasts now have the concept of curve “Sorting” for its “native” curves, so RM will use the first curve to show lots of temperature metrics in Tab Delimited and XML export (Charge temp, crack temps, drying, pyrolysis and drop temps). Now, that stuff is great, but it involves either a software “back-end” to catalog this, or a lot of manual analysis to make sense of anything. Some folks have that - they will be elated. Others, are looking for a more Roastmaster-oriented solution.

So, taking this concept further, I want to introduce the concept of “Users” to Roastmaster, whereby every device could define separate users, having also the concept of the “current user”, allowing a user to switch users. In this setup, one device could function as the “Administrator”. Other devices could upload roasts at the end of the day to Administrator, where everything would be available on one device for analysis and reporting, along with who performed the roast.

I had wanted to tackle that in this update, but there wasn’t enough time. This update was essentially a complete UI rewrite from the ground up. I’ve modernized all of the code base, and it’s been a massive undertaking. But, it will also (thankfully) eliminate what I spend MOST of my time on - coding individual scenarios for the varying number of iOS devices, and screen sizes. This will let me concentrate on features instead.

I do hope to start working on the user concept soon. If you’d be interested in beta testing this with me, please shoot me an email at support@rainfroginc.com. I’ll definitely need a good team of beta testers to provide feedback and use cases.

Danny