The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Will Phidget 1048 with USB to Bluetooth adapter work?  (Read 3973 times)

pfunk1543

• (4 Posts)
    • View Profile
Will a Phidget 1048 with a USB to Bluetooth adapter work with an ipad if I didn't want to use a wifi adapter?

Thanks.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi

Sorry again, no. Apple maintains tight control on BlueTooth. Only jail-broken iPhones can access generic BlueTooth devices. Manufacturers have to embed a proprietary chip from Apple in order for iOS to recognize a BT device. So, I’m limited to manufacturers who invest the time and manufacturing expense to incorporate that chip.

I'm finishing up work on a new protocol for Roastmaster, which will open up the scope of probe hardware, but it's a DIY type of thing. You'd have to build your own host (Arduino, etc.) and it would be Ethernet as well. But, it allows someone to build a probe host for as little as $50. If you’re interested in more details on that, email me at support@rainfroginc.com

For Bluetooth…ThermoWorks has informed me they are coming out with a better version of the BluethermDuo, which was recently discontinued. So, that will be a Bluetooth option that is iOS-friendly. Again - no timeline. They told me it's on its way.

Hope this helps.
Danny

pfunk1543

• (4 Posts)
    • View Profile
Thanks. I'll wait for the new BluethermDuo then.