The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Setup Basics  (Read 4236 times)

navystan

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
Danny,

First, thanks for the screencasts.  But, I still feel a basic video is missing.  You have one called first roast, but I think it needs more on basic setup.

i'm coming from Hottop using Artisan.  I'm now using Huky 500T with Phidgets (sensor and SBC3).  I'm excited with the Roastmaster software.  It is by far more stable and more professional polish.

Here's my basic questions:

1.  RoR.  Is this the first delta in the preferences?  It's not clear where to set this up.
2.  Turning Point.  How to I mark this during the roast?
3.  Heat and Fan control marks.  It seems it's helpful to set control curve template based on heat and temperature vs. heat and time.  Is it possible to create curve based on heat or fan to temperature?
4.  On the fly changes to heat and fan.  Can I mark on the fly like turning point.  I especially will do this until I really have a consistent profile to really call a master.

Thanks,
Stan
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:22:45 PM by navystan »

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Stan

I've been working steadily on the next version of RM steadily for the last 6 months, hoping to get it out in tandem with the release of iOS 10, but development ran long. It’s basically a complete overhaul–same concepts, but a lot different in the interface. I'm going to redo the screencasts then, with a different approach - kind of a “tidbits” thing so each one isn’t such a daunting task, and I can afford to be more faithful with them.

1) Yes, Delta Curves is the verbiage RM uses for RoR curves. With that turned on, you will see them in the full-screen Roast Analyzer.

2) In an effort to keep the workflow as simple as possible for those not needing advanced functions (and a lack of screen real estate in iOS), I’ve designed many concepts as “opt in”. Some of the roast metrics fit that category. The turning point is defined by an Event. Events can be created in any curve as simple text-based markers, or static types, like Turning Point, Drying End, etc.

Events can be entered “on the fly” in the analyzer by selecting the target curve, then tapping the curve icon in the upper left corner. Once saved, the event will be pinned to that time in the current roast.

You can also define events in a curve before the roast begins, and set them to “Auto Trigger” at a specific temperature. Events play a role in some of the metrics available in reporting, so it’s good to use them.

Now, it would be cumbersome to define all of this in each roast, so Profiles have the ability to define “Curve Templates”. You can set up a profile with reference reading curves by copying and pasting from a roast into the profile, then creating corresponding curve templates, with auto-trigger events for for the things you’re interested in at the appropriate temperatures, as well as the probe binding, color and other details.

Then, when you tag that profile in a roast, the curve templates will spawn identical curves as “Data Curves” in the roast, with the probe already bound, and events ready to go. Using profiles makes it quite literally a one (or two) tap affair.

3) Auto-trigger events will help you here too. You could define control curves, but they are formed by time, not temperature. The way I roast is by having certain triggers set on my “Bean Temp” curve, like “Open Damper full” at 185° C, etc. Make sure to set the “Alert Type” so that it either dings or alarms at the appropriate temp. You’ll get a banner alert, along with a sound if specified, in the analyzer when they are triggered.

4) The best thing here, if you’re trying to capture all the data you can, is by defining “Control” curve templates in your profile. Then you can enter the actual data in the control curve as you change it on the roaster. That would give you a static record of what control changes you made and when. I used to always record my control changes in control curves. I’ve since just come to rely on auto-trigger events and intuition. But, you can use both in tandem.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Danny
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:49:03 AM by Danny Hall »

navystan

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hi Stan

I've been working steadily on the next version of RM steadily for the last 6 months, hoping to get it out in tandem with the release of iOS 10, but development ran long. It’s basically a complete overhaul–same concepts, but a lot different in the interface. I'm going to redo the screencasts then, with a different approach - kind of a “tidbits” thing so each one isn’t such a daunting task, and I can afford to be more faithful with them.

1) Yes, Delta Curves is the verbiage RM uses for RoR curves. With that turned on, you will see them in the full-screen Roast Analyzer.

2) In an effort to keep the workflow as simple as possible for those not needing advanced functions (and a lack of screen real estate in iOS), I’ve designed many concepts as “opt in”. Some of the roast metrics fit that category. The turning point is defined by an Event. Events can be created in any curve as simple text-based markers, or static types, like Turning Point, Drying End, etc.

Events can be entered “on the fly” in the analyzer by selecting the target curve, then tapping the curve icon in the upper left corner. Once saved, the event will be pinned to that time in the current roast.

You can also define events in a curve before the roast begins, and set them to “Auto Trigger” at a specific temperature. Events play a role in some of the metrics available in reporting, so it’s good to use them.

Now, it would be cumbersome to define all of this in each roast, so Profiles have the ability to define “Curve Templates”. You can set up a profile with reference reading curves by copying and pasting from a roast into the profile, then creating corresponding curve templates, with auto-trigger events for for the things you’re interested in at the appropriate temperatures, as well as the probe binding, color and other details.

Then, when you tag that profile in a roast, the curve templates will spawn identical curves as “Data Curves” in the roast, with the probe already bound, and events ready to go. Using profiles makes it quite literally a one (or two) tap affair.

3) Auto-trigger events will help you here too. You could define control curves, but they are formed by time, not temperature. The way I roast is by having certain triggers set on my “Bean Temp” curve, like “Open Damper full” at 185° C, etc. Make sure to set the “Alert Type” so that it either dings or alarms at the appropriate temp. You’ll get a banner alert, along with a sound if specified, in the analyzer when they are triggered.

4) The best thing here, if you’re trying to capture all the data you can, is by defining “Control” curve templates in your profile. Then you can enter the actual data in the control curve as you change it on the roaster. That would give you a static record of what control changes you made and when. I used to always record my control changes in control curves. I’ve since just come to rely on auto-trigger events and intuition. But, you can use both in tandem.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Danny

Danny, thanks for replying.  Will look up these recommendations.  On another note, you might find the videos better if you include users in on the development.  It really helps when the "users" are involved in the product, rather than just the "IT guy."  I'm open to be a beta tester/helper, too.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Comments are always welcome, whether you are a beta tester or not. I keep a big Filemaker database of feature requests, and weigh them according to popularity.

Believe me, Roastmaster would be a different app if it were just me driving it. Countless beta testers have contributed. And more are always welcome. The current beta is almost at its end. We’re on build 36, so its very polished.

Send me your UDID in a private email to support@rainfroginc.com if you want to be included. New users are the best, since they’re doing a lot of database configuration.