The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Artifact Data in Curves?  (Read 3143 times)

quality45374

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
Your app is very polished and flexible. In a way it is similar to a computer algebra system like Mathematica or MATLAB, in that one can use it a fair amount and still only scratch the surface with respect to capabilities.

I use Roastmaster to track temperature data while roasting on a Behmor 1600+. In addition to the default P1... P5 Behmor profiles you have programmed into the app, I have added a few since I normally roast in manual mode.

I added some curves, as well, one for each of the custom profiles I added.

My question is regarding artifact data from the curves. Roastmaster seems to save the data from the first time the nodes of a particular curve are populated. And the artifact data is copied into every roast which then uses that curve. And I have no idea how to prevent this or how I should be using the app differently to prevent this.

For example, say I have created a profile called "Manual Mode." It uses a curve called "B-Sensor Temperature." So I roast a wide variety of beans using this profile, and I log the temperature data manually. But each time I start a roast using this profile, the curve appears in the roasting console, pre-populated with the nodes from what seems to be the first roast done with this curve. Those nodes are propagated to each roast using the curve, and unless one overwrites them or manually deletes them (one by one), they contaminate each use of the curve.

How can I prevent this? How should I be using the app differently so that it doesn't happen?

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi

Thanks for the kind words - glad you are enjoying it!!!

I tried to design Roastmaster to be flexible. For home roasters, there’s a chance that your machine may not be capable of bean mass readings. If you’re a specialty roaster, you may have one or more production roasters that are, but also one or mare sample roasters that are not, which you use to tweak you profiles.

For this reason, there are different ways that Profiles can function. But, at their essence  (and the way most folks use them), Profiles are designed to house two types of curves: A) Reference Curves - those are the ones usually created in a roast, and propagated to a custom Profile by either tapping “Create Profile from Roast”, or copying and pasting them manually. These Reference Curves will populate (as you mentioned) in roasts that use that profile. The other type is B) Curve Templates. Those are blank curves stored in a profile, pre-configured with curve type, color, probe info, etc., that will create a blank, new curve in a roast for the means of recording NEW data.

The roast console will show both of these without distinction. The reason is that many shops will hone a profile via Control Curves, and not bother with live temperature readings–just roasting by sight and smell. For them, their profiles just house one control curve, and they view that as the de facto (albeit “inherited”) roast curve.

For others that log data (like you and me), the full-screen Analyzer provides a means to differintiate between “Reference Curves” and live “Data Curves” via the “Targeting Mode”. Setting the targeting mode to “Profile/Program” will show the “Reference curves” in your profile as dotted, and show the live Data Curves in your roast (created either via Curve Templates from your profile, or manually) as solid lines. So, the dotted reference curves provide the “base” you want to match, while the actual roast data is overlayed as solid line curves.

Most folks just use the main console to set up the roast, then open the full-screen analyzer to perform it, where all of the advanced curve functions reside. You can change the targeting mode to “Past Roast” during a roast, and swipe along the bottom axis to pan through recent roasts (the ones being displayed in the roast console when launching the analyzer), but most folks spend the majority of their time in “Profile/Program” targeting mode.

Hope this helps. Any other questions, just let me know.

Kind regards
Danny