The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Manual mode for Behmor 1600 Plus  (Read 6258 times)

fonz0

• (6 Posts)
    • View Profile
Great app for the pre-programmed modes.
Would be even better if you allowed a Roaster Profile called Behmor 1600 Plus that showed the panel buttons during roasting and tracked
any manual adjustments that were made.

Basically time stamping power and drum speed changes once manual mode is entered.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi

Thanks for the kinds words!

Interesting thought about the panel interface - I wouldn’t be opposed to that. But, mechanically, you can do those things already with the standard interface.

If you created the Behmor roaster from the “Add Roaster” list by choosing “Behmor”, it will already be setup to use “automatic Behmor curves”. Whenever you choose Profile, Program and Weight in Roastmaster, it will give you the appropriate “Automatice” Behmor curve. With that curve selected (tap the graph to select through each curve), tap the digital readout to enter each heat change you make on the roaster - Roastmaster will put the curve into manual mode if needed and echo them on the interface.

If you also wanted to track drum speed, just create another “Control” curve in the roast, and do the same. Tap the graph to select each curve in succession. The same logic applies if roasting in the full-screen analyzer. To make it easier, and keep you from having to create the curve in each roast, you could create an empty curve template called “Drum Speed” in each of the 4 standard programs (or 5 profiles). Then, when you selected the program or profile in each roast, the drum speed curve would already be in place alongside the “Heat” curve Roastmaster gives you by default.

Let me know if you want clarification on anything.

Danny

fonz0

• (6 Posts)
    • View Profile
I get that I can create a custom curve, etc. But the Behmor 1600 PLUS allows me to take over any curve and drive the roast manually.
So let's say I start with P1, C, .5 and at first crack I go into manual mode and force 50% heat to lengthen the 1st crack time. That is not a
predefined roast curve- it is dynamic.

What I meant by a profile for the Behmor 1600 Plus was one that added the P1 P2 P3 P4 and P5 buttons and the 1# and D buttons to the live interface. You enter manual mode by hitting any of the P1-P5 buttons, and
you then select the heating % from P1 though P5 (0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%). Pressing each button would change the curve in real time from that
point on in the roast. the D button toggles the drum speed from high to low and back.

See here for what I mean https://www.sweetmarias.com/behmor-manual-mode-cheat-sheet
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:24:31 PM by fonz0 »

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Setting aside for a moment the thought of a custom Behmor Interface, this behavior already exists. It sounds as though you are not seeing this - is that the case?

When you choose a valid combination in Roastmaster, e.g. P4, D and 1, you should be presented with the heat curve the Behmor uses. It will display in the console graph.

Then (for example), at first crack, you would press P3 on the Behmor to drop to 50% power. At that point, you would tap the digital readout in Roastmaster, and enter “50”. The curve will enter “Automatic” mode, create a node at 50, and clear out any remaining nodes to the end of the roast.

If, at any point, you wanted to revert back to “Automatic”, you could choose “Convert to Automatic” by tapping the curve button in Roastmaster (next to the digital temp readout). Roastmaster would repopulate upcoming nodes with what they should be on the Behmor itself.

If you are not seeing this behavior, then let me know - perhaps your Behmor roaster definition is not configured correctly, or the preference setting for “Automatic Behmor Curves” is not on.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:57:23 PM by Danny Hall »

fonz0

• (6 Posts)
    • View Profile
I had no idea that was all in there. Great job! I was expecting to see the same buttons as the Behmor has and never even thought to tap the digital readout. I pressed everything else though...

fonz0

• (6 Posts)
    • View Profile
So all that is not there is the drum speed.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Ahhh - good - correct. Roastmaster has no built-in concept of drum speed. I coded all of the Behmor functionality before Joe introduced the Plus upgrade. Honestly (at that time) I didn’t even realize the drum speed changed. I added the “auto” curve functionality later.

I’m working on new screencasts right now. I’ve got to get some better ones up on the site. :)

fonz0

• (6 Posts)
    • View Profile
Gotta say- really impressed with the customer service you are providing. I have spent far more than what this app cost and seen customer service that was horrible. You seem to be passionate about both coffee and this product and it shows!

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Thanks for taking the time to let me know - correct on both counts! :)