The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Copy Roast and Default Roast  (Read 5627 times)

GA_Steve

• (9 Posts)
    • View Profile
Can a "copy roast" or a multiple roast be added?

We roast 2 to 3 batches (3.75# per batch) of a single origin beans several times a week.  This would save us input time when planning our evening roasts.

Part 2.....
How about a default roast for every thing but the bean?
So when I hit the + to add a roast it can come up with the roaster and weight already filled in.

We have been using Roastmaster since July 15, 2010 and have logged 385 roasts to date!

Thanks,
Steve

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Steve

Wow - 385! You're probably about on par with me. I have 467, but I got a head start. Mine date back to about 6 months before release to December of 09, once I finally got the database all wired up. Thanks for sharing - love to hear stuff like that!

Copy Roast - thanks for suggesting this! I've been wanting to add that for 2 updates now, but I try to keep myself focused on things people are asking for the most. Now it has become official! :) Mainly though, I've held off on because I didn't want to sacrifice screen space on the roast list for iPhone users by adding a bottom toolbar. I think I might end up doing is putting a "Copy Roast" like you suggest in the roast details screen. I think that's less cumbersome than forcing a choice every time you start a roast. Either way, I will do that soon. That bugs me as well when I roast with my Quest. I usually end up doing a few batches of the same thing back to back. That will come in very handy.

Now - templates. The next update is ready to go - I'm just waiting on a small issue to be fixed with drivers for the new iPhone 5 for the new data-logging option. That update will introduce Curve Templates in profiles and programs for folks who use curves. If curve templates are defined, with one tap all of the curves are set up and ready to go. I find that to be the most cumbersome of data entry. Do you use curves? And if so, would that combined with a "Copy Roast" feature be along the lines of what you're looking for, or are you thinking more of a strict template, in addition to?

Now that work on data-logging is mostly over for the time being, I want to switch my head to productivity-enhancing features like you're suggesting - things that speed workflow. The new roast analyzer coming in this update is one of those features - basically the current full screen graph, but greatly enhanced to allow quick comparisons between roasts. It will be a great thing for folks who use curves.

Please advise about the Curve Templates if you can. It will help me greatly in determining how folks would like to see this implemented.

Thanks
Danny

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Well - thanks for the impetus! :) I thought a bit about and realized I could add a long tap to the roast list view. I knew the code would be simple, I just didn't want to overcrowd and already full interface. So, now, in the main roast list, if you tap and hold a row for a second, you're asked if you want to copy that roast. Choosing yes will create a new roast ready to start and place it at the top of the list. The roasted items and their weights will all be set, based on the source roast, along with the roaster. I stopped there, though, because inferring any of the other details would present a big risk for gotchas, like inadvertently roasting with a curve that's not appropriate, or roasting with a profile or program snapshot where you may want a master instead, etc. Plus, the new curve templates in profiles and programs will handle that for you anyway.

It's slick though, and I can't wait to use it myself next roast. It will be in the next update.

Cheers
Danny

GA_Steve

• (9 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hey Danny,

Thanks for the quick replies!

Having it in the Roast List page is perfect and the defaults you suggested are spot on for what our needs are.

We don't roast on a curve at all.  We are sight, sound, smell, time and temp check kind of roasters.  The defaults you mentioned for the copying of the roast would be the template we are looking for, less bean type.

Glad to give the input and get to see results, I can't say that about hardly any SW company.

Do you want other suggestions as new threads?  I only have one other that I can think of.

Thanks,
Steve

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Steve

I made a new board called "Wish List" at the root of the forum. A lot of people use the Wish List on the blog, but the blog gets spammed so much I keep it in approval mode for new users. This will be better as the forum is all automatic.

Thanks Steve

GA_Steve

• (9 Posts)
    • View Profile
Danny,

I LOVE!!!!! Being able to copy the roasts.  I have 75 roasts to do of PNG and that has made life super easy for me.
Thanks for a great application!

Steve

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
You and me both - every time I do back to back batches I kick myself for not doing it sooner! :) Thanks again for the impetus. Glad you like it!