The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Recording temps when roasting in manual mode with the Behmor 1600  (Read 3969 times)

jcowley

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
Question: Is it possible to record manual temp readings and enter those into the Roastmaster app while also recording the power % changes throughout the roast?

Background

I use manual mode exclusively on my Behmor 1600 plus. This thread (https://rainfroginc.com/frogpad/index.php?topic=180.0) was really helpful for understanding how to manually enter the power changes throughout the roast.

What I'm curious about is whether it is possible to also add temperature readings during the roast (i.e. readings taken manually by pressing 'B' in manual mode on the Behmor). It would be really helpful to be able to see intermittent temp readings along with the curve showing the power %.

Related sub-question

I know there's a data logging add-on for the app that would allow me to hook up a wireless probe, but I just got my Behmor and I'm not quite ready to drill a hole in the side of it yet. If I buy the add-on, can I use it to manually "data log" during my roast?

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi

1) Sure - you can have as many curves as you want in a roast, and log temps or control values to each independently. In each of your P1-P5 profiles, you could create a new Curve Template. Name it, and set it to a reading curve. Then, whenever you tag a profile in a roast, you'd automatically get a new blank reading curve in the roast for recording data. SO, you'd have two in each roast–the control curve Roastmaster gives you by default representing the Behmor heat, and then the new reading curve courtesy of the new Curve Template. Just tap the graph to select the curve you want to edit, and then tap the digital readout to enter a temp.

2) I'm not quite sure I follow, but the only thing that Data Logging "unlocks" is the ability to link to a wireless probe. Otherwise the app function is identical with or without it. In other words, you can record as much data as you want to as many curves as you want either way. The Data Logging option just does it automatically. You wouldn't need the Data Logging option unless you reached a point where you were tired of entering manual temperatures.

Let me know if I'm not understanding.

jcowley

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
Ah, figured it out. Click the little button to the left of the reading and add another curve.

RTFM, eh?

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Nah - if you have the question, others will to...that's what forums are great for.

Sure, you can create a curve like that in each roast - it's the same difference. Creating a curve template in each profile just saves you from having to do it in each roast.