The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Find my Probes function  (Read 4406 times)

tburres

• (16 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hello again -

It would be nice to be able to manually trigger RM to look for probes - I have.  My probe stability problems have been cured, but I still have to go through gyrations to get the initial connections established.  It would be nice to be able to trigger RM to find them so I don't have to reboot my ipad - I suspect there's probably a way I can trigger that without creating a new feature.  I set up a router in my roasting space and I haven't yet found a reliable sequence for getting my ipad on that network, getting the probes on it, creating my preheat roast and having RM find the probes.  It was working in that order for a while, but now I have to restart my iPAD or power cycle the phidget or unplup the SBC wifi adapter in some random sequence before I get the probes online. 

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Tod

I've noticed similar oddities in testing with the new Lib22. The Phidgets library is supposed to be dynamic, i.e. that shouldn't be necessary. It should simply follow the network settings of the iPad. I've noticed in testing, though (as you've discovered) that it is, in fact, sometimes necessary - even with only one network. The library seems to go to sleep sometimes.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can call in code to get that library to "reboot" or "refresh". But, my intuition would be that a HARD reboot of Roastmaster would do the same thing, since that would force a reboot of the internal Phidgets API as well, but I can't promise that.

Have you tried a hard reboot of Roastmaster (double tapping the home button and quitting it from the background)? That works for me in testing, but I'm not jogging back and forth between networks. That may be adding an extra layer of confusion.

tburres

• (16 Posts)
    • View Profile
I have tried everything at various times.  Currently I am having the best luck with physically unplugging the WiFi adapter from the SBC. 

Does toggling RM from a previous roast to a new “ready to roast” trigger RM to look for the probes on the network?   

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Yes, if that new roast has any Data Curves that are bound to probes, it will trigger a call to bind those particular probes.

Well, actually - I should say, unless the previous roast that you were viewing was still in its "Grace Period", during which Roastmaster keeps those probes alive in the console until that timeframe expires. In that scenario, switching to a "Ready" roast would do nothing. But, otherwise...yes.