The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Cupping term  (Read 2657 times)

Andy

• (26 Posts)
    • View Profile
Greetings, Danny, and Happy New Year All,
I have been roasting for many years and happily using RM for several years, but I have been negligent about cupping. So, I have started cupping my roasts in an attempt to rehabilitate myself. Most of the terms are self-explanatory, but what is Roast Complement? Google was not helpful. Cheers!

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Andy, and Happy New Year to you as well!!

That's not surprising...Roast Complement is my own invention to provide a means of qualifying the roast, instead of the greens themselves.

In cuppings circles that might use the SCA(A) protocol (buyers, brokers, famers, etc.), the "language" of the cupping attributes is fairly ubiquitous, especially being tied to a country of origin. And, all of those qualifiers are based on a standardized, basic roast profile.

The one thing that bugged me about relying only on standardized cupping protocols in Roastmaster, was that it provided no means of helping roasters know whether a cupping score was achieved via the quality of the beans, or the quality of the roast profile. So, I did some research into many different cupping protocols beyond just the SCAA protocol, and some heavy thinking, and came up with 2 different protocols designed to help solve this dilemma.

The Roast-centric protocol (and Green-centric simply for the sake of being thorough) are meant to complement the standard SCA protocol. It helps achieve a couple of goals:
  • Allowing you, as the roaster, to declare your intent when cupping. Whether that’s to evaluate the quality of the greens, or the quality of your roast profile, perhaps as you try to perfect it over time, you’ll have an easy means of know how each score should be interpreted, by virtue of which protocol you used.
  • Providing a means of auditing beans in the long term via reports, by both the quality of the green and varietal attributes themselves, along with how well you think you’re doing them justice with your roasting habits. By scoring the “Roast Complement” attribute, you can tell your “future self” how well you think a particular roast hit the sweet spot of the green you roasted.
Hopefully you find them helpful!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:41:18 PM by Danny Hall »

Andy

• (26 Posts)
    • View Profile
Yes, thanks for the explanation.