The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

RDP DIY  (Read 6749 times)

alja

• (4 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hello Danny, I'm up for building my kit and ready to buy the parts but found this https://www.adafruit.com/product/2471 and wonder if I could use it instead of the Feather HUZZAH w/ ESP8266. Also Just to make sure... is there any other part I would need? I have the max 31855 and the thermo couple K.

Thanks for the help.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi alja

It has WiFi, so looks like it would work fine.

The Arduino IDE uses libraries (often written by Adafruit) to access these breakout boards they sell. It would probably be a different library than the one in the sample code (for the Feather HUZZAH), so you would have to import the appropriate library, and then tweak the sample code based on the functions it supplies and its operation. The same applies to the Max chip if it varies from the sample code. But - for functionality - it looks just as good as the HUZZAH.

Make sure you get a power supply, breadboard, and wires.

alja

• (4 Posts)
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply... Seems it is not that simple to do it I am a hands on but no quite there to code. I wonder if any bluetooth thermometer like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Wireless-Thermometer-Bluetooth-Meat-Remote-Control-Digital-Cooking-For/264346152805 could work. :-(

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Yes - it is no small undertaking. Fun...but involved.

I don't plan on supporting any more thermistor style probes like the one in the link you sent. They are fine for kitchen use, but the internal windings tend to fail very quickly in a coffee roasting environment - and they usually don't even cover the required range for most roasters.

The only Bluetooth option at the moment is the ThermaQ Blue, until later this year when I plan to have Roastmaster branded hardware ready for purchase.

alja

• (4 Posts)
    • View Profile
Thanks, ThermaQ Blue is really pricey, I guess I'll have to wait until you have your hardware available.... Hopefully more affordable than the Q. ;)

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Sorry to break your hope...but, it won't be. The first model will have 10 channels of data - reading much more than just temperatures. It is geared at specialty roasters and comprehensive home setups.

Down the road, I do plan on designing a light model - but at this point don't have any kind of time frame.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:29:52 PM by Danny Hall »

gilr

• (2 Posts)
    • View Profile
Sorry to break your hope...but, it won't be. The first model will have 10 channels of data - reading much more than just temperatures. It is geared at specialty roasters and comprehensive home setups.

Down the road, I do plan on designing a light model - but at this point don't have any kind of time frame.

Do you have an ETA :)

Gil

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Sorry - no. I've been waiting on LCD screen tooling (took forever). That was the biggest hurdle. Just got the prototypes in about a week or so ago. Working on the final boards and case production now.