The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Recent Roastmaster Upgrade  (Read 6969 times)

Jerry

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
I just upgraded Roastmaster to the new version and am interested in the new temperature data logging opportunities using Phidgets 1048_0 device and thermocouples, etc.

Within the last year I have switched from a WinXP box (elderly) and a Mac Mini (mid-2011).  There are things about the current Mac platform and Mountain Lion I still struggle with.  I might (or might not) have Bonjour.  I can't picture what a data logging 'link' between iPad/Phidgets/Mac might look like and how to cost it out.

A diagram or two would be helpful.

Also, would I have to learn Linux to make it work?

(BTW, I have recently completed Roast 150 using Roastmaster and ...can't live without it...!!)

Jerry

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Jerry

Great to hear you've hit 150!! Thanks for the kind words.

I've attached a PDF of both of the supported configurations of Phidgets hardware for Roastmaster's Data Logging, as well as a picture of my Phidgets setup. I purchased the SBC2, 4 port Temperature Sensor, WiFi Adapter, and the Acrylic enclosures for both of the boards. I mounted them to a piece of scrap wood, put a hook for wall hanging, connected the cables, and was done.

There are instructions in the help files inside the app, and diagrams in the Data Logging purchase screen, but they are very basic, and lack pictures. I'm still working on a pictorial instruction sheet to post here on the site, but the attached PDF will give you an overview of how it works.

Here's the basics. There is no formal USB in iOS, so all connectivity has to happen over an Ethernet network (via a WiFi router). That's where Phidgets excel.
  • You connect a K Type Thermocouple to the Phidget Temperature Sensor, which takes the readings from your roaster.
  • The Phidget Temperature Sensor is then attached to a host (via a USB cable), which broadcasts those readings over the network so that Roastmaster can use them. The host simply provides network connectivity to your WiFi network, and can be either the Phidget SBC2, or a laptop.
  • Roastmaster, then, communicates with the host to grab the readings from the Temperature Sensor connected to it.
Phidgets are administered from a Mac Preference Pane, or Windows Control Panel. These are very easy to install from the installers available on Phidgets.com. You do not have to know a bit of Linux - all settings are made via the software. It only takes about 5 minutes to configure via a desktop computer - most of that time is waiting for the Preference Pane or Control Panel to install.

If you don't have a laptop that can be placed next to the Roaster, I'd recommend using the Temperature Sensor with an SBC2 as a host. It costs more, but provides a portable solution. The SBC2 comes with a power supply.

Like I say, I will be putting formal instructions up soon - but this will give you an idea. Please let me know of any more questions you have. I love the Phidgets platform, though I'm sure a lot of folks would prefer a pre-packaged solution. Unfortunately, there really aren't any viable contenders that I'm aware of for iOS yet. But, don't let the do-it-yourself nature of Phidgets scare you, they are amazing little devices, and perform beautifully.

Cheers
Danny

Jerry

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
Thanks, Danny

From your diagrams it would seem that I would need the 4-point sensor module ($100), the host module ($225), the WiFi transmitter ($30) and assorted thermocouples, enclosures, small hardware, S&H, ($60), say around $415 +/-.

That's not out of reach.

That would be attractive to someone wanting to find a way to get involved with the Phidgets family of products (as well as coffee-roasting).

Jerry

PS, for those out there, if you're not 'logged on' you might not see the attachments.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
That's right. I'm going to try and get the data sheet finished and on the homepage tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's links...
  • A Phidget Temperature Sensor - EITHER:
  • A Host - EITHER:
  • The Thermocouple(s)

Note: If you already have a WiFi laptop, you can always start small, and just purchase a temperature sensor and thermocouple. The SBC2 can be added later if you decide you don't want to have to lug the laptop out every time you roast.

Also, I'd recommend the acrylic enclosures for any hardware you buy (except of course the WiFi adapter). Phidgets are just bare circuit boards. The acrylic enclosures provide solid protection for the Phidgets, and a good way to mount them if you desire.

Danny
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 04:27:33 PM by Danny Hall »