The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

PhidgetSBC3  (Read 5462 times)

briankim

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
SBC3 just came out which replaces SBC2.
http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?category=21&product_id=1073_0

Runs Devian 7 as opposed to version 6 in SBC2.
Double the RAM and flash.

Is SBC3 still compatible with Roastmaster data logging in-app purchase?

I have 29 roasts with Roastmaster and just purchased SBC3 and other parts for wireless temp logging.
I just realized that your instruction PDF shows SBC2 so I was wondering...

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Brian

I'm currently adding J type thermocouple support, and just last night downloaded the newest API from Phidgets and saw the SBC3 for the first time.

I believe it will be fully compatible out of the box - it only acts as a host i.e. there is no code in Roastmaster that directly addresses the SBC itself - only the temperature sensors attached to it by way of their Web Service that runs on the SBC.

The only possible caveat I can see is that the Phidget drivers are not forward-compatible - meaning that the version running on the SBC must exactly match the drivers in Roastmaster. This means you'll have to install the appropriate driver according the chart here... http://rainfroginc.com/documentation/setting-up-data-logging/ which, by now is an older version.

It's great timing, though, because I'm going to be sending the current update out for beta to a J type thermocouple user this week. If there are any problems with the SBC3, you and I should be able to work them out with a beta build over the next week.

When it arrives, if it's not evident how to 'downgrade' drivers on the SBC preference pane you install on your desktop, let me know and I'll do the research for you. It's very easy to install updates to the SBC - just one button, but downgrading I've never had to do. I need to type up better instructions for SBC users anyway, so I'll be investigating that this week anyway.

Please keep me posted

briankim

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
Phidgets will be delivered in a few days. I'll let you know how it goes.

briankim

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
I'm having trouble adding probe in Roastmaster app. Status is "Unlinked."
I downloaded the Mac OS 2.1.8.20120912 installer and installed it.

When I go to Bonjour and double-click on temp sensor I get an error saying "Version Mismatch; webservice 1.0.10, expecting: 1.0.9."
When I go to Phidgets SBC Config page I see that Phidget runtime library and webservice are version 99:2.1.8.20121213-1 which is newer than 20120912.

How do I make this work?

Thank you.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Brian - Sorry, I didn't get a notification from my RSS app that you had posted. Just saw it.

Phidgets require that the same version of their software be running on both the host and Roastmaster - in your case the host is the SBC. That is the mismatch - the SBC is newer. If you were using a laptop as a host, then the preference pane software would need to match with Roastmaster.

We need to basically downgrade the SBC itself with older software (20120912), not necessarily the preference pane. I'll poke around for a Phidgets article and post back.

Danny

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Brian

I could not find anything in the Phidgets docs for downgrading, so I've asked them directly for instructions. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back. Now that the SBC 3's are shipping with newer software, I'll need to get instructions on the site quickly because this will start happening frequently.

They've always answer my questions quickly, so I expect to hear back tomorrow. In the meantime, if you'd rather not deal with downgrading the SBC, I can include you on the beta version of Roastmaster I'm going to build this weekend, which already contains the newest Phidgets software.

If so, just email me your UDID. This can be found in the main pane of iTunes when the iOS device is attached. Copy and paste that into an email and send to support@rainfroginc.com. Applying the beta should be painless - just back up your Roastmaster database(s) to a safe location off of your iOS device, and install.

Let me know - we'll get you up and running.