The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Temperature  (Read 3272 times)

truk

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
I've had this software for a little while but I had a popcorn popper and didn't see much need to use it with that. I recently bought a GeneCafe so I'm ready to log some roasts.

I've got the beans and roasters and stuff like that in and am able to do test roasts setting the 1c and 2c and stopping the roast.  Is there no place to input the temperature or is that done in the notes after a roast is complete?

I don't really understand the profiles or curves yet but I think I'm ready to input some roasts.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:13:47 PM by truk »

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi

Curves are a means to store variables that change throughout a roast - mainly temperature readings or roaster settings. In a new roast, tap the blue curve button near the digital readout, and create a new curve. Set it to "Reading" for recording temps you observe, or "Control" to record roaster settings you use, such as heat, amps, gas, air, etc.

Then, while the roast is in progress, you can enter nodes into the curve by tapping the digital readout near the gauge. A node will be created timestamped in the selected curve at the value you enter. You can define as many curves of varying types as you need in each roast. With my Quest, I usually track 2 control curves: Heat and Fan, and 2 Reading curves: Bean Mass Temp and Ambient Drum Temp.

There's a video here that walks you through using a curve... http://rainfroginc.com/documentation/your-first-roast-screencast/

Profiles are more advanced. They are a means to store curves that you want to match in future roasts. When you happen upon a good roast you want to record and try to duplicate in the future, you can copy and paste the curves from that roast into the "Curves" section of a new profile. Then, in future roasts, select that profile, and your target curves will populate the graph for matching.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have other questions.
Danny