The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Unlinked temperature probe  (Read 4442 times)

jon_moroco

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hello!

I just got the 4 port phidget temp sensor and am trying to get it connected.  I've got 2.1.8.20120912 drivers installed.  Everything plugged in, temps registering in the control panel, web service running and I still get and unlinked probe in App.  This is what shows up in the console on my macbook...

#starting web service
5/18/13 8:51:43.018 PM Firewall: phidgetwebservic is listening from 0.0.0.0:5001 proto=6
5/18/13 8:51:43.019 PM Firewall: phidgetwebservic is listening from ::ffff:0.0.0.0:5001 proto=6

#opening the probe properties Roastmaster
5/18/13 8:51:54.361 PM Firewall: Allow phidgetwebservic connecting from 192.168.1.3:51315 to port 5001 proto=6

#exiting the App
5/18/13 8:52:04.911 PM com.phidgets.webservice21: 200 done
5/18/13 8:52:04.912 PM com.phidgets.webservice21: 200 done
5/18/13 8:52:05.000 PM kernel: phidgetwebservic[2038] uses send/recv on a pipe

#opening the app back up
5/18/13 8:52:11.771 PM Firewall: Allow phidgetwebservic connecting from 192.168.1.3:51316 to port 5001 proto=6

It sure looks like they're talking to each other, just not handshaking.  Any ideas?

Jon

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Jon

I contacted you via email on Monday. Just want to see if you're still having trouble getting a link going with Phidgets.

Please let me know if so and we'll try to work it out.

Cheers
Danny

jon_moroco

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
Thanks Danny,

I fiiiiiinally got some time to play with it last night and I figured it out!  (My wife laughs at me every time I tell her I'm playing with my phidget, btw.)

When I get a chance I'll test it out on a PC as well since I'll probably be using an old PC laptop as my roaster host.  On a mac anyway it seems that the order in which you start things up is very important.  You can't open up the PTS monitoring window on the host before trying to link it to Roastmaster.  It puts some sort of a lock on things that prevents the app from picking it up.  If that's in the documentation, I skipped right over it.  I figured this out after taking your advice and doing the "Support 101 - Have you tried turning it off and on again?" I should know better as I'm in the IT support biz.  So I restarted my laptop and iPad, plugged in the PTS, started Roastmaster and voila!  I have a linked probe.

I then went back to the Phidget control panel and opened the PTS monitor under the general tab with the web service still running.  The probe stayed linked in RM, but nothing showed up in the monitor on the laptop.

The instant I stop the web service and break the link to the RM the sensor appears in the monitor on the laptop.

I then started the web service again.  The probe remains unlinked in RM until the instant I close the PTS monitor window on the laptop. 

So, I don't know if this is expected behavior or not but it wasn't clear to me when setting it up the first time that I should not have the monitor open on the host while trying to link it to Roastmaster.  It also never occurred to me to close the monitor on the host.  I guess it can't be monitored in two places at once?  Maybe it's not even an option with the Phidget SBC3 which I hope to add to my setup some day. 

Anyways, I appreciate your responsiveness and willingness to help.  I can't wait to start really putting my phidget to work (wife snickers in the background).

Jon

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Jon - glad to hear!

Actually, that is in their developer documentation, but I've always thought it was a holdover from earlier versions, because I've always been able to link Roastmaster on multiple iOS devices with the same probe at the same time. Sorry - I could have saved you some effort if I knew that applied to the monitoring app. I suggested the restart because other users have mentioned that was necessary for them. That's always puzzled me, because from the code side a restart shouldn't be necessary. This may have just solved that mystery! Good to know.

Your post made for a fun read - give my apologies to your wife. :) I appreciate you outlining the problem with screenshots for other users!

Any other questions just let me know.

Danny