The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

2C during cool down on Behmor?  (Read 4853 times)

JavaBro

• (8 Posts)
    • View Profile
How do I record 2C when it occurs during cool down (Roasting on a Behmor)?

2C pretty much always stretches into the cooldown phase.
When I hit cool down on the Behmor, I press the stop button on Roastmaster and can't record 2C anymore.
Am I doing something wrong?
Is there a more appropriate way to indicate end of roast?

PS: I'm using automatic Behmor curves but I always use P1 so it really doesn't matter (I have a switch on my heating element to control the roast).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:56:29 AM by JavaBro »

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi JavaBro

No - you're not doing anything wrong. It honestly just never occurred to me to allow tracking for that. I disable certain things after a roast has ended for the sake of preventing accidental errors.

You can go back and edit the roast, tap the appropriate table row, and enter a value manually, but that would necessitate a separate timer, I'm afraid - since the main timer stops counting when the roast stops.

After stopping a roast, Roastmaster gives a grace period of 30 seconds - during which you can start the roast again if for any reason you need to. During that time, I'd consider allowing crack entry. Would that timeframe cover the crack times you observe during cool down?

Kind regards
Danny

MonJava

• (1 Posts)
    • View Profile
JavaBro;
Since you are using a Program vs. Profile, I don't know if you're using curves or templates(?)

You could make a curve template (control) that depicts ON and OFF segments of the roast wherein you use two pre selected numerical values to show either of the two. That way you don't have to stop the roast. Rather, you would change the value when you enter the cool-down stage, allowing you to continue a log of the 2C.

Example:  say you set the limits for your curve at 0 - 100.  To keep the "active/inactive" curve out of the way of other important curve data, make your value for "active" at "10",  and the value for "inactive" at "5". This will keep that curve to the lower portion of your graph.

You can make a disposable "sample" roast using this idea to see how it looks, and if you like it or not. I use a similar tool with some of my drum roasts that use cool- down time for the end of 2C, and it works like a charm!

John

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Wow, that's a pretty clever solution MonJava!

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, I went out of town as the update was in review. Speaking of - there's now a preference setting for graphing control curves in the analyzer. You can choose a custom height to keep them locked to the bottom, and out of the way of temp curves. Also, you'll be able to enter crack times for a short period of time after the roast stops. To anyone using this - if you find you need more time, just let me know and I'll increase the value.

I find the trick proposed by MonJava really interesting. Especially, since I've talked to several folks about the concept of a warm-up and cool-down phase lately, and have given some thought as to how it would look in the app. This isn't something that I, personally, would be interested in tracking when I roast, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage idea-wise compared to the folks who would. I did definitely recognize the need to be a able to more easily compare and contrast temps - both before and during a roast - so there's a lot of new stuff in the Analyzer that helps out in that area (labels, targeting mode, etc.), but I'd be interested in exploring the concept of a warm-up/cool-down phase as well.

Any ideas, please let me know.