The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

New graphs: Delta and Rate of Rise  (Read 10850 times)

danaleighton

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
A couple of data points I'd like to have generated in real time on the roasting graph are delta (difference) between my ET and BT graphs, and also a graphical rate of rise display. I would like to see this because I may want to alter the roast depending on these parameters.

The graphical display gives you a rate of rise in the analysis phase, if you tap on one of the temperature measurement points. That's fine but to see this data in real time would be really helpful. Same goes for the delta temperature.

Thoughts anyone?

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hello

Live deltas are shown for curves when using data logging, but only node deltas are shown when entering data manually. I think what you're asking about is a way to show the difference between the live deltas of two different curves, am I correct? i.e. factor both live deltas together, then display the difference?

The stumbling block is that many people use many different types of curves. Linking two together in any predictable way isn't impossible, just something that, as of present, the app has no knowledge of. It's a concept I actually have given some thought to, though. Especially when designing the temp projections.

Speaking of - have you had a look yet at the temperature projections? Seems as though they may offer you some help. Select a curve and tap the crosshair in the side control dock. You'll see a target appear. Data logging users will find this a fairly accurate way of predicting temps as you approach first crack and onward. Manual entry is still helpful, just not as accurate as having a constant flow of data to calculate.

danaleighton

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hi Danny.

Yes, I suspected that the complexity would make implementing difficult. I will check out the target feature. Thanks.

Dana

danaleighton

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
I will be looking into going the datalogger route. Right now the BT is monitored on a Watlow controller built into my homebuilt roaster, and I enter the BT manually.

Incidentally, this idea was sparked by a blog post by Ed Bourgeois:
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/2012/01/bean-temp-rate-of-rise-bt-ror-approach.html

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Dana

I'm very intrigued by the idea. Like I said, it was something I thought a great deal about while developing the last update. Having predictable thermal equations drive the projections instead of a differential equation would add a great deal of accuracy to them, so I pondered how it might work. Maybe tapping one curve label, then mother to establish a link. Not sure, but it's an interesting idea.

Thanks for taking the time to post about it - I really appreciate the feedback. I'm going to think about this a bit more.

Danny

italyhound

• (8 Posts)
    • View Profile
Danny

If I am reading this right, datalogging in RM allows for delta between the ET and BT, but not RoR data from the BT?

I was about ready to buy a phidget/bluetherm and roast wirelessly with my ipad, but as Dana mentioned, RoR is crucial to some folks - me in particular.   I can't live without them and would love to see them somehow in RM - unless I am missing something.

Til then I am forced to stick with artisan - but would much prefer the freedom and ios based option with RM  :D

Thanks

italyhound

• (8 Posts)
    • View Profile
I see that it is already available data. 

Was too quick with the trigger finger in posting.

:o

tburres

• (16 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hey Danny, just wanted to throw in another vote for a RoR curve on the graph.  Just finished Scott Rao's book and it is one of the main data points he focuses on when planning and executing a roast.  In the meantime, I s there a way to extract the data points from a roast curve into a file so it could be easily entered into excel or numbers?

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Actually, they will be in the coming update. (See attachment) I've had them in place in the development version for a couple of months.

I'm just finishing adapting the app for the two new iPhones, as well as the multitude of internal changes in iOS 8. I hope to get that released very soon.

Sorry, at the moment there's no way to export a curve, though I do plan to add that very soon.

tburres

• (16 Posts)
    • View Profile
Great, thanks Danny!