The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Bluetherm duo temperature reading  (Read 4550 times)

Dancd

• (1 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hi, i am finding the ability to use bluetherm duo a great addition and has already helped highlight some improvements to my roast profiles. I'm using it on a vintage machine from early 1900s so it's a wonderful combination of old and new!
I am having one issue,often when selecting the probe in a curve within a roast the temp displays as double the value showing on the duo. For example, if the duo says 170 c the roast display will say  340 c.

I have to exit the roast and start by adding a new curve a couple of times and then it picks up the correct reading.

Any help very much appreciated.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi

Sorry you're having problems. I, personally, have never seen any anomalies with the BlueTherm Duo, and I'm not sure offhand what could be causing this error. So, I have a couple of questions/suggestions:

Firstly, do you roast in F or C?

Secondly, the next time it happens, can you:
  • Leave the roast console open in the "Roasts" tab with the curves intact. (Note: If you created the roast from the home screen, save and close it there, then jump to the roasts tab, and open it there. Just need to leave it open somewhere so the probes won't disconnect)
  • Go to the "Home" tab, and flip it over to show Utilities
  • Open the "Probes" list, and tap the probe to open its details
  • Tell me what the status line says. Should be "Linked: XX C (XX F)".

The reason for step 1 is that Roastmaster polls every 15 seconds to make sure any active/linked probes are actually still in use by either a roast, a roast console window, an analyzer window or a probe details window. If not, it will shut down the unused links to conserve battery.

That being said, there is nothing code-wise that I can think of that would necessitate making a new roast or curve. I'm guessing that in the process of doing that, the active links have time to be shut down and the new roast or curve "works" because RM is firing up a fresh BD link when you create it. In other words, I think that when this problem happens, you could just save and close the existing roast - wait at least 15 seconds for any probes to disconnect, then open it again and see the correct values.

Now, this isn't a good solution, so I still want to find out how to reproduce it so that I can fix it. My hunch is that it's happening in the BTD SDK. I just got a new version from the manufacturer a couple of days ago. It's possible they've identified this bug and fixed it.

Thirdly, do you notice a pattern?

Kind regards
Danny
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:59:53 AM by Danny Hall »

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
I've finally pinpointed the cause of this.

Please see Bluetherm Duo Temperature Discrepancies for the cause, symptoms and workaround.

My apologies to those who have experienced this problem. Those roasting with 2 probes (like me) may have never even seen this error, due to the nature of how it manifests, which is why it took a few weeks to track down.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:22:35 PM by Danny Hall »