The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

the reading' issue Bluetherm duo  (Read 5007 times)

Anderson

• (12 Posts)
    • View Profile
Fisrt of all,I have to say

This is very very great App and getting better and better after upgrade everytime!

Thank all of you who working on this App :)

Recently, I upgrade data logging and use Bluetherm Duo,I had a issue about reading in temperature

I set reading in Celsius both of Bluetherm and this App,but the  reading is shown and catched in Fahrenheit very often in the App,I have to deselect and select the probe several times until the reading is correct.(the reading in Bluetherm Duo's screen is also shown Celsius always.

Is there anyone have this issue also and know how to solve this probelm? Thank you in advance!

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Anderson

Thanks so much for the kind words!! And, sorry you're having problems.

I've talked to 4 people who are having (what I think is) the same problem. They report that the temp is doubled. Depending on your charge temps, and that they may be changing rapidly, I can see where it appears to be doubled, when in fact it might be actually translated to F, or vice versa. I cannot reproduce it with my Bluetherm, so I'm relying on the info from users to try and pinpoint the cause. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I can tell you I just got a new SDK from the manufacturer. I've inquired about this problem, because I do not think it's happening in Roastmaster's code. I haven't heard back yet. Once I can test the new SDK, I'll do an update with the hopes it's been fixed. My BD unit is from the first production run. I fear that they maybe changed the firmware sometime into production in an area I need to account for in Roastmaster. Unfortunately, the manufacturer doesn't supply version and bug documentation, so I'm I'm trying to "feel my way" through this.

The next time it happens, would you be able to:
  • Exit the roast without altering any data, just saving if you need to.
  • Wait at least 15 seconds (RM shuts down idle probes in 15 second intervals)
  • Open the roast again and see if the problem is there
The third step will give you a fresh connection to the BD. You'll be able to tell it's been refreshed if the start/stop button is yellow for 1-2 seconds, then turns green (as opposed to turning green right away).

Other than that, can you tell me if your workflow makes use of curve templates via profiles? Or do you define and roast and manually create your curves and bind them to probes each time. The only consistent info I have thus far is that it appears to happen sporadically after a number of roasts have been performed - not on the first roast. My workflow uses curve templates, so probe links never really have a chance to shut down. I'm looking into that now - to see if that might be why I haven't been able to reproduce on my end - even after countless hundreds of test roasts.

Thanks for reporting it.

Please let me know any details you can.

Anderson

• (12 Posts)
    • View Profile
Dear Mr.Danny Hall

Thank you so much for the solution about the issue,I will try it next time.

About my workflow is as following

1:Choose bean

2:Choose Roaster and select the profile,but I only give a title for the profile,there is no any curve included.

3:Choose the program,the program is included 2 curve (Fan,Fire) which is pre-defined by using CURVES function.
   then Bluetherm is pre-defined by using CURVE-TEMPLATES,even the Bluetherm isn't power-on and not linked.
   when I want to roast, check the probe is working then start.

4:For solve the issue,I also tried to define the probe by manually,not by templates,it also has same issue.

5:This issue doesn't happen at first roast only.it is ok at first roast sometimes and happened at 2nd or 3rd roast

6:Tested Environment:
   Device:IPAD2,IPHONE5s

I hope these information is helpful for you,and thank you for your effort to solve this.

If these is any detail that you need,I will post it as best as I can.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Anderson

So sorry - your comment was somehow marked as read in my RSS feed and I missed it.

I was finally able to pinpoint the cause of this error yesterday. I've posted on how to work around it here: Bluetooth Duo Temperature Discrepancies

What I originally thought was a bug in their SDK, may in fact be the intended behavior - just poorly documented. Either way, I've fixed it in code and started testing today.

I'll be putting a Roastmaster update out as quickly as I can.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:21:09 PM by Danny Hall »

Anderson

• (12 Posts)
    • View Profile
Dear Danny Hall

Thank you so much for the solution :D

For avoiding the issue,I already use 2 probes to test and check it .