The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Can't get alert sounds to work  (Read 6056 times)

Chipbutty

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
I've decided to give Roastmaster another go after finding it rather complicated. Anyway, I have a profile setup with temperature changes over time but I'm not getting an alert at each temperature change so I can adjust my Gene Cafe. I have SetPoint Alerts and Play Sounds switched on and Alerts are switched on on the iPad.

I can't think why it's not working. Thanks for any help.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Setpoint alerts are designed to tell you when control curve values change, they do not function with temperature reading curves.

Is your curve defined as a reading curve? If so, just change its type to control and you’ll get the alerts.

If you haven’t seen it, check out 18:15 on the screencast here: http://rainfroginc.com/documentation/roasting-profiles-a-comprehensive-tutorial/

This shows a pretend control curve for a Gene Cafe profile, representing the values of the roaster “heat” control. That would provide alerts in either the roast console, or the analyzer screens.

If all you want is a map of the roaster settings throughout the roast, then 1 curve is all you need, and this type of profile will suffice.

If you want to provide more detail, you can add a reading curve to that profile, that will show the approximate temperature values you observe when using that control curve on the roaster. (Shown in "Gene 1" attachment, with a preheat temp of 200)

During a roast, this would be a good way to see if the current temps displayed on the roaster are staying in line with the profile temps you have predefined, and allow you to adjust the machine based on the current temperature ramp, vs the intended temperature ramp. (Note the more detail you provide in the target reading curve, the more accurate it will be)

Going further, you could record current temps to a second reading curve (in the roast itself) to get an idea of how the current roast is behaving over time compared to your target curve in the profile. See "Gene 2" attachment. In this screenshot, the “Control Curve Plot Height” preference is set to 20% to allow screen room to easily compare the target profile temperature curve with the current actual temperature curve. The analyzer targeting mode in this screenshot is set to “Profile/Program” to  give show which curve is current and which curves are target.

In any of these examples, you’d receive alerts for the control curve values as they changes

Hope this helps
Danny

Chipbutty

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
Thanks Danny, that's very helpful. I created a test profile I could run quickly to test for the alarm and setting it to a control curve gave me the alarm sound. During the last big update of Roastmaster has something changed to the curve behaviour as I know when I've used Roastmaster in the past with the same curve I had the alert sounds? Anyway, my alerts are back.

One other thing. Changing the volume on the iPad doesn't seem to increase the sound of the alert. I find the alarm a little quiet. The alert volume seems to be set at a default level. Do you know if that can be changed?

Thanks.

Setpoint alerts are designed to tell you when control curve values change, they do not function with temperature reading curves.

Is your curve defined as a reading curve? If so, just change its type to control and you’ll get the alerts.

If you haven’t seen it, check out 18:15 on the screencast here: http://rainfroginc.com/documentation/roasting-profiles-a-comprehensive-tutorial/

This shows a pretend control curve for a Gene Cafe profile, representing the values of the roaster “heat” control. That would provide alerts in either the roast console, or the analyzer screens.

If all you want is a map of the roaster settings throughout the roast, then 1 curve is all you need, and this type of profile will suffice.

If you want to provide more detail, you can add a reading curve to that profile, that will show the approximate temperature values you observe when using that control curve on the roaster. (Shown in "Gene 1" attachment, with a preheat temp of 200)

During a roast, this would be a good way to see if the current temps displayed on the roaster are staying in line with the profile temps you have predefined, and allow you to adjust the machine based on the current temperature ramp, vs the intended temperature ramp. (Note the more detail you provide in the target reading curve, the more accurate it will be)

Going further, you could record current temps to a second reading curve (in the roast itself) to get an idea of how the current roast is behaving over time compared to your target curve in the profile. See "Gene 2" attachment. In this screenshot, the “Control Curve Plot Height” preference is set to 20% to allow screen room to easily compare the target profile temperature curve with the current actual temperature curve. The analyzer targeting mode in this screenshot is set to “Profile/Program” to  give show which curve is current and which curves are target.

In any of these examples, you’d receive alerts for the control curve values as they changes

Hope this helps
Danny

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Wow - great memory!!

Yes, once I started providing better workflows for reading curves, and tying in profiles and targeting modes, I disabled that for reading curves because they weren't really a good fit for them.

Roastmaster's sounds are "alert" sounds, meaning they obey the "Ringer and Alerts" volume in Settings, not the regular system volume. This is important for the roast alarms and especially the probe alerts for data logging users.

I'll probably rework the sounds soon. I made most of them with keyboards and samplers. I mastered the volume of them all based on the iPhone 3's speaker. Unimportant sounds were muted and important ones were amplified. Now that speakers have changed, that's all out of whack and some are really strong, and others muted - and that varies between devices.

I'll probably provide a volume control for un-essential sounds in the near future, but for now - you can control the volume of everything with the "Ringer and Alerts" volume in Settings. On iPad this is usually not controlled with the volume buttons, so chances are yours is still at the 50% default level.

Chipbutty

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
Good to know I'm not going mad then! Though I do hold you personally responsible for missing my cue to increase the temp when I roasted today ;-)

I increased the volume of Ringer and Alerts and it's now much louder  :D

Thanks again.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
I used to get bent when a roast wandered on me, now I just cup and see what I get... Some of my unintentional mistakes turn out to be my favorite profiles down the road.  :)

Any questions, just let me know.