The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Copy curve, program, profile? Which to use.  (Read 3591 times)

JavaBro

• (8 Posts)
    • View Profile
I roast on a Hottop.
I've saved some profiles on the Hottop and would like to use them and copy the control curves into my new roast and then change them when I deviate from the profile.

I thought that I should save the original roast as a program (or profile?) and then copy it as an editable curve (via snapshot), but I can't figure out how to do that.

Also, I haven't really figured out the difference between programs and profiles.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
First - there's no difference between profiles and programs. The Behmor roaster uses both Profiles and Programs - that's the main reason both exist. Also, some roasting machines label them "Programs" while most roasters refer to them in speech as "Profiles". They both function identically in Roastmaster. You can choose whichever name works for you and ignore the other.

If you employ profiles in your workflow, you really shouldn't have to ever copy curves with the "Copy" function. Just assign the profile and let snapshots handle the editing from roast to roast.

A little info about snapshots...

The coming Roastmaster update will bring a huge list of improvements in the area of profile use, automatic snapshots, profile editing, shuffling master profiles to and from snapshots, along with a condensed and searchable help system. So, things will probably seem a lot more clear very soon. As the app has matured a bit, and I've gotten a lot of feedback about how most people use it, I've reworked a lot of things pertaining to profiles and snapshots so that they just happen automatically.

In the mean time, profiles are, in essence, just a way to save a group of curves, and easily apply them to a roast. Once you tag that profile in a roast, its curves become part of that roast. Reading curves provide the target temps you want to match, while control curves give the roadmap of roaster controls.

Snapshots simply provide the ability to easily modify a master profile in the context of a roast, to A) keep the original data intact in previous roasts that already use that profile, and B) provide a way to limit the amout of manual data entry you have to do during a roast. Since adjustments are usually minor, snapshots make it easy to apply the curves, and then just tweak only little bits of the data and reduce your work during the roast.

So, when you assign a profile to a roast, it's curves are then visible in the roasting console. If you edit any of these inherited curves in the console during a roast, a snapshot will be created automatically. (The coming update echoes this ability to the roast analyzer as well.) When a snapshot is made, it remains grouped with the original master, but is freely editable as it's own distinct profile.

To make a snapshot...

Once you've saved a roast as a profile, and assigned it to a new roast, if you want to edit it during the roast, you can A) edit a curve and Roastmaster will create the snapshot for you automatically, or B) you can tap on the little disclosure button next to the profile's name in the roast console, then on the profile details page, tap the action button, then tap "Snapshot". That is the manual way to create a new snapshot.

Please let me know if this helps, or if you have other questions.