The FrogPad

A forum to get help or talk about Roastmaster…or anything else coffee.

Wireless Temperature Datalogging  (Read 9189 times)

Jerry

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
There is currently a project on 'Kickstarter' by iCelsius which might be a low-cost alternative to Phidgets. 

I contacted them and currently they use a thermister with an upper temperature limit of 250C.  Nevertheless, if there was a good business opportunity for them ...?! 

Jerry

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Jerry - Thanks for pointing that out!

I actually contacted them last month and am in the process of getting the SDK. I'm very excited, because if it works out, it will bring ease of use for folks who are intimidated by the do-it-yourself nature of Phidgets. The iCelsius looks to just be plug-and-go.

The Roastmaster update that's currently in beta will bring J-type support for Phidgets. I've slated iCelsius for the following update. I haven't gotten my hands on a test probe yet, but I'm very hopeful.

Thanks again!

Cheers
Danny

Jisgren

• (5 Posts)
    • View Profile
Just saw the iCelsius site and concur that this would be great.  Especially the Wireless BBQ with two probes:

http://www.icelsius.com/product.php?p=13

Two thermocouples with wireless for just of $100!

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Thanks for the link. I knew early in the week I'd be dropping in the iCelsius SDK at some point and trying to get it working, so I wanted to hold off on responding until I had some good news.

As I'm typing, I'm watching the dev version of Roastmaster capture temps from an iCelsius BBQ. It's performing great so far - just got the functionality up and running this afternoon. The Data Logging engine in Roastmaster is pretty complex - so a big "Whew!" is in order that it went so easily and quickly. I coded everything in a modular way - anticipating other probes. Now that they're finally more than vaporware, it's exciting being able to finish support for them.

Also - my Bluetherm Duo should arrive any day. Looking forward to testing that out as well. It's more expensive than the iCelsius, but gives you the option to connect any standard K-style thermocouple - so it's a bit more flexible.

Joelk00

• (6 Posts)
    • View Profile
Hi, just joined, love your app.

Looking to get data logging going and have been reading about all the options. Any news on the blutherm duo you mentioned, that looks really cool? Also I know 4.1 was just released, how long do you think it will be before the next release with icelsius compatibility? Both of these options appear to be easier and cheaper than phidgets. Thanks Danny!

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi Joel - great to hear!!

Actually, 4.2 is almost ready for Apple - it was officially code-complete yesterday. Today starts my formal testing period. I keep looking out of the window - FedEx should be arriving today with my thermocouple mini-connecters and some other goodies so I can hook my live probes to the Bluetherm Duo and start roasting. So far, I've been testing it with a spare probe, so I'm anxious to use it in live roasts.

As it stands now, the next update will include support for the Bluetherm Duo, and the wired iCelsius BBQ. That, though, could change quickly once I start testing. If I were to find any problems with the SDK of either one, I'll have to pull it until the manufacturer can fix the SDK, but I've been testing both steadily over the past month, so I'm hopeful things will be fine.

AFAIK, the wireless iCelsius is still in pre-order stage at the moment, but I plan to add support once that becomes available. I'm anxious to get ahold of one, though - the iCelsius SDK seems to be top-notch, so I'm sure it will perform well.

As far as timeframe, it's tough to say with the iPhone event today. I want to test with iOS 7 before releasing, and we as of yet do not have the gold master build. Hoping for that in a couple of days. If you'd like to beta the next version, feel free to send me your UDID. Otherwise, I'm hoping to submit in a couple of weeks as long as I don't find any issues in testing.

Thanks Joel

mini_eigi

• (3 Posts)
    • View Profile
I found this two options which look interesting to me.
1. a WiFi thermocouple from Corintech (available)
http://www.corintech.com/news-about-electronics.php?electronics=Corintech-launch-new-thermocouple-WiFi-data-logging-sensor
2. a grill/cook thermometer to plug into your earphone jack. (pre order)
https://scooter.supermechanical.com/

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
Hi mini_eigi

Thanks for sharing these links!

Funny - another user just asked about the Wifi probe this morning as well, but this is the first I'm hearing about the Range. I've had my head deep in code for the past few weeks beefing up Roastmaster for iOS7.

I've sent an email to both Corintech and Supermechanical - inquiring about iOS SDKs. I'm very anxious to hear about the Range in particular. But, I'd love to add both of these two probes to the app - thanks again!

I'll post back here with anything I hear.

Kind regards
Danny

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
I spoke to Supermechanical. The rep is excited to pair it with Roastmaster and informed that they are currently working on a public SDK. He's going to let me know when it's ready to distribute.

Thanks again for the tip!

RegulationD

• (1 Posts)
    • View Profile
This may be a moot point as more refined options emerge, but have you thought at all about using a raspberry pi to be the server for the temperature sensor.  That kind of setup might still be pretty DIY, but a raspberry pi is a good bit cheaper than a SBC2.

Danny Hall

• (383 Posts)
    • View Profile
    • Rainfrog
There are users running the Raspberry Pi with Phidgets - say it works just fine. I haven't tested it myself, but can't think of a reason against it. Like you said, it's just that there's an extra step, and Phidgets are scary enough for some folks already. That and the fact that I've been focused on the new probes are the only reasons I've never gotten one myself.

News78

• (1 Posts)
    • View Profile
I'm looking for by the Data logging in-App. But i have a iCelsius probe. It's working with the in-App?